School of Mathematics and Science
- CCBC enrolls over 35,000 credit students a year, 62 percent female, 43 percent minority, and 91 percent 20 or older.
- All CCBC students are required to successfully complete at least one physical science general education course as part of the science general education requirement for earning an Associate’s degree
- The STEM Winter Bridge Program, funded for two consecutive years by the Arconic Foundation, is designed to increase persistence and completion, particularly among underrepresented populations.
- A Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation subgrant with UMBC creates a STEM community and supports curricular alignment projects in STEM areas of study between CCBC and UMBC and the delivery of enhanced advising services for transfer students in STEM related fields.
- Redesigned introductory Math, Biology, and Chemistry courses. Statewide results indicate a 20% increase in student pass rates.
- Over the two year period, 99 students benefited from STEM scholarships, 37% of the awards were made to women.
- Increased educators knowledge of research and effective practices to address issues concerning women and underrepresented student in STEM programs.
Sample of funded grants
New and Continuing Grant Awards 2013/2014
|Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Sub-grant with University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC): Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Four-Year Degree Completion||$314,000|
|United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) Secondary Education, Two-Year Post-secondary Education and Agriculture in the K-12 Classroom (SPECA) Challenge Grants Program: Strengthening CCBC's Horticulture Program||$21,851|
|University System of Maryland (USM) and the Lumina Foundation Course Redesign Biology 110
|Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) Developmental Math Course Redesign 083/135 Intermediate Algebra/Applied Algebra & Trigonometry
|Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) DMCR Developmental Math Course Redesign 083 Liberal Arts
|University System of Maryland (USM) and the Lumina Foundation Course Redesign Math 081
|University System of Maryland (USM) and the Lumina Foundation Course Redesign Chemistry 107/108
|National Science Foundation (NSF) Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Program: Community STEM Scholars
|National Science Foundation (NSF) Sub-grant with Montgomery County Community College (MCCC) Northeast Biomanufacturing Center
New and Continuing Grant Awards 2014/2015
|Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) Developmental Math Faculty Professional Development (DMPD)
|National Science Foundation (NSF) Sub-grant with NAPE Educators Equity in STEM
|Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Sub-grant with University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC): Creating a STEM Community